Upgrading Qnap TS109 from Wheezy to Jessie

The Qnap TS-109 runs Debian Wheezy just fine, but it has to be upgraded from Squeeze (no direct install). How about upgrading Wheezy to Jessie? This device is old and slow, so I decided to find out, and if it does not work, so be it.

Debian links:

Below follows a shorter version of the upgrade guide, focusing on what I actually did with my Qnap.

Getting ready
First you should of course backup your stuff if the device contains anything you can not lose.

It can also be a good idea to clean out packages that you dont need (to both avoid problems when upgrading them, and to save time during the upgrade):

$ sudo dpkg -l
$ sudo apt-get purge SOMEPACKAGES

It is also adviced to make sure you dont have packages on hold. You can do this with:

$ sudo dpkg --get-selections | grep 'hold$'

I confirmed that my system was then fully wheezy-updated

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

With that, I decided I was ready for an upgrade to Jessie.

Upgrade itself
I first updated /etc/apt/sources.list.

Old version:

deb http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
deb-src http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main non-free

deb http://ftp.df.lth.se/debian wheezy-backports main

New version:

deb http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ jessie main
deb-src http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ jessie main non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main non-free

I just deleted the backports source.

And begin upgrade:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade

That went fine, so I did a reboot. It took longer than usual, but it came up. So I proceeded with:

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

…which went fine, and I rebooted.

System came up and it seems good! If I encounter problems later I will write about it here.

Leave a Comment


NOTE - You can use these HTML tags and attributes:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Trackbacks and Pingbacks: